Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Reinventing myself

As odd as that sounds, it is pretty much what I am in the process of doing at the moment. I am creating a new image for myself.

Over the last few months, I have given considerable thought as to the direction I wanted to go with my dolls. I have thought about the things I like to create, the things I like to see, what I aspire to do, and where I want to be in 5 years with it and so forth. I have thought about my A.S. degree in Graphic Design and how it seems to have been a waste of time in some aspects, and then I have thought about my talents as a fine arts artist too which have dwindled down to the back burner. One of the other things I had thought about was how a few of you wonderful young ladies had nudged me about my writing and how I should be writing books/short stories. I never thought about my writing much, other than I enjoyed writing. Probably it is a southern thing and I have the "gift of gab". hehe

Aside from this, there was a time, when I really wanted to illustrate children's books. But, oddly, I discovered that my talents in painting with pastels (my preferred medium of choice) and pen and ink illustration were mainly in painting realistic landscapes, animals, and architecture. Nothing at all that would have fit for child's book of illustrations. And, so, I let that little fantasy fall to the wayside. That is, until recently, when a HUGE lightbulb when off in my head! It was like my eureka moment!

So, I am going to share with you all, my Eureka moment. Now, keep in mind, it is not finalized yet as I am still working out the bugs here and there, but I can say that this is a definite direction I am leaning toward. I have already began some of the processess to put this into motion. I have also spoken to some of my closer friends here in my personal life for feedback, but as usual, you often wonder if they are REALLY being upfront and honest with you in their opinions. So, basically, that is what this post is all about.....honest to goodness feedback. I am not afraid of criticism, but what I am afraid of is losing my wonderful idea I am about to share with you all. Regardless of that point, I really need to take that risk and get some genuine and trustworthy feedback.

So, without further adieu, here it is:

First of all, I am changing my name from LMPartdolls to The Pixie Knoll. One of the biggest reasons for the name change is that I have found on numerous occassions that the current name is just too complicated for the average person to take in. Even though I used my initials, it was just too much for most people to deal with. The 2nd reason is that simply, it is just not fun....easy as that. And, so, The Pixie Knoll was born. I will continue to create my little figures, including the Santas, but I am now taking them to a new level. I will explain:

The Pixie Knoll, as you might have guessed is a place where all of these little creations will come from. Each one will have it's own little story that will correlate to the land of Pixie Knoll. Some stories may be very involved, and some only a short poem, but regardless, each will have some type of written word to go with the figure. Aside from this little idea, I also want to incorporate my painting skills. And here is where I am probably really going in to deep, due to my current time restraints. If I can manage it, I want to create a little back drop sketch or scenery with each figure. This will help to create the imagery of The Pixie Knoll and help to bring each character to life. Eventually, I will compile all of the characters and their stories and/or poems together and create them into a children's book and try to have it published. So, in the end of it all, I would have been able to stretch my design legs, still make my dolls, and be able to do that children's book I always wanted to do.

So, anyway, that is it in a nut shell. What I am looking for from all of you dear friends is honest input on the entire concept. I know that it will take me time to create each piece due to the amount of work that will be involved, but, my feeling is that the end results will be well worth the labor of love.

At any rate, here is my new psuedo website. Primarily, what I want you to read is the "home" page. It contains a poem that I wrote as an introductory to The Pixie Knoll. It will give you a little idea of my writing style is like as far as poetry is concerned.
the website is:

www.thepixieknoll.weebly.com
It is a free spot at the moment but enough to give you all the idea before I actually take the plundge.

Thanks for the comments...they will all be appreciated no matter how ugly they might be. Remember...be honest!

Hugs,
Lori

2 comments:

  1. Lori, I don’t know how you’ve made it, but you have just red my mind!
    I’m carrying a similar idea in my mind since I’ve made a dream seller – a doll and a character for a story. Then I thought that it would be great to write stories along with making dolls. I’m just still thinking on how to call the country where all my characters will live.
    So yes, go for it! I love the idea, and I’m sure you will be successful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorote, it is so good to hear from you. It is amazing how great minds think alike! I might not ever make it to the publishing stage for my idea, but it will be one heck of a journey! I have a feeling that you might make it there before I do. haha I wish you tons of luck on your dream seller. It sounds like a truly fantastical story. :-)

    Hugs,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete