Tuesday, May 4, 2010

In Loving Memory: Hannie Sarris

As we travel through this journey we call life, the roads we take will lead us to meet a countless number of souls in our time. There are those that are casual acquaintances, and then there are those that bond close kinships either through love or via friendship. Some are more remarkable than others, some gently linger in our minds and hearts for some time to come, then there are those that continue to give and bless long after their time here on earth has finished.

I believe that Hannie was all of these things and more; one of those gentle souls that will continue to bless many people even though her time on earth has ended. For those that do not know of Hannie Sarris, who past away this past Sunday, she was indeed a Master Sculptor, who many artist, including myself, aspired to learn from and be more like. Although I never had the opportunity to meet Hannie in person, through the stories that are shared amongst mutual friends, I can tell you she was a rare jewel with a wonderful kind heart who was always willing to share her knowledge with the rest of the artist community and those that wanted to learn. If more people could be like her in mind and spirit, the world would be a little bit better.

I feel I am blessed to own just a small piece of Hannie in my collection of books on doll making. A beautiful book that she created and that was signed by her. Long before this day arrived it has been one of my most treasured books in my collection of artistic knowledge on doll making. To any new learners out there seeking a wonderful instructional book, I would highly recommend this book. It is titled "Fairy Fantasy" by Hannie Sarris-Hulstein. I realize that the book is completely sold out, but there might still be some copies lingering about some place.

Fairy Fantasy


I wanted to share just a small sample of her work so you could understand just how wonderful her work truly was. Unfortunately, I had such a hard time selecting something, as it is all beautiful. So finally, I selected this picture which kind of sums up the feeling in the artdoll sculpting community. It is titled "Sense of Sadness" by Hannie Sarris. It is a bust made of Prosculpt light clay. It is one of my favorite pieces by her. I think you will find it appropriate.

"Sense of Sadness" By Hannie Sarris
Sense of Sadness by Hannie Sarris

In short, Hannie was indeed a master sculptor and a mentor to all of the doll making community in some way or another. She now belongs to the artistic muses that will guide artists on their creative journeys as they travel their own roads. She will forever be a star shining brightly in the heavens showing us all the way.

If you would like to see more of Hannie's work, please visit her website and see what a true master in sculpting that she really was. The doll making community will feel the loss of her bright soul for a long time to come.

http://www.hanniesarris.nl/page.php?page=home&lang=en

God speed on your journey, Hannie. You will certainly be missed here in this world.

17 comments:

  1. A great loss of a great artist.
    I've even seen Hannie and her creations on April 11 at the Dabidadag.
    She looked very fragile, but she said she was recovering from a long illness.
    I am a member of Hannies Forum.
    We will miss her very much.
    Her works are and remain an example for everyone.
    Hugs Ineke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ineke, you were fortunate to see her one last time. It might be, that Hannie already knew what was to come while at Dabida that day. You are right, her works will remain an example and an inspiration to us all. She was a well-loved artist. No doubt about that. :-)

    Hugs,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this message, I am her Son Stefano and it touched me. Her life will continue living through the work she left us. On another note she didnt know at dabida what was about to happen.. Thanks for all the support.

    In loving memory of my mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only recently learned about your wonderful late mother, the world is very much poorer for her loss. She made such wonderful pieces of art and I would very much like to learn from her knowledge but I am unable to find any of her books but particularly the "Fairy Fantasy, doll making" one, do you possibly know where I might track one down to buy?

      Kind regards
      Gareth

      Delete
  4. Stefano, I know in my heart, that there are never the right words to say at the loss of a loved one. I, myself, having recently lost my oldest son in December, and having lost my father nearly 7 years ago. I can honestly say I do know what you are going through. Only time will heal your heart and the hearts of so many that she touched along the way in her short life. Be strong, Stefano. Your wonderful mother's work may be finished here on earth, but rest assured, she is now one of the great sculptors in Heaven creating such beautiful sculpts and decorating the halls of the one and only Kingdom we shall ever need to know in our time. My heart and prayers are with you and your family, Stefano. I am glad you took the time to stop by and ready my words for your mother. I did mean them all from the heart. She touched so many lives in her time, including mine. She was a beautiful woman. Thank you and peace be with you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lori, I've just read this post and then the comments and it is so very touching. I've only become aware Hannies work over the past week through various tribute posts out in blogland, and it truly is stunning. A sad loss indeed. I'm also deeply sorry to hear about your own loss. Your blog and comments are always so upbeat and positive, it's hard to imagine you have been touched by such sadness. You are honestly an inspiration yourself.
    Roisin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roisin, Thank you for such kind words. I do my best to stay upbeat, it is something I strive to do every day. I have learned along the way, you have to have rain from time to time. Without the rain, we can not enjoy the flowers that grow and sun when it comes to shine down upon us. Again, thank you, dear, sweet friend. :-)

    Hugs,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Without the rain, we can not enjoy the flowers that grow and sun when it comes to shine down upon us."

    Even without the context Lori, those are words to bring a tear to the eye.

    Take care brave one,

    Roisin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Roisin. You are a beautiful soul and a wonderful new-found friend that I feel I have known a life-time. <3

    Hugs,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been searching for months for a copy of her book. If you hear of any anywhere will you please let me know!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teri, I do not think her book is available any longer. Like your blue rose, it is a rare item now. The only thing I can suggest is that you contact her family to see if there are plans on releasing another printed version. I'm sure they are the ones to go to since they probably own the copyright and publishing rights to the book now. I wish you much success in finding this book for your own collection. I know I will treasure mine for years to come.

    Hugs,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh sweet Lori, thank you so much for this blog post.
    I'm so thankful for the fun we had at the last Dabida day but I sure wish we could have had much more of that fun.
    She was so talented and always willing to share her talent and know how with everybody.
    I miss Hannie almost on a daily basis, but I feel so proud an thankful that our lives touched when I see the love everybody around the world show for her.
    We at Dabida are honoring our friend and founder with the Hannie Sarris Award.
    Thank you so much dear Lori.

    XXX
    Es

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shame her husband will not return the deposit I paid to do her Class, 200 Euros, and in spite of his promises to pay it back, he hasn't. I gave him all my bank details, his son said I'd get it the week I gave him the details, and that was about November 7th 2010.

    I can't afford prescribed medicines, and he has 200 Euros of my money and won't give it back!

    Wish I'd never heard of Hannie Sarris. Shame, really.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just want to ammend the above comment, as I checked my bank account today and found out My money was returned Dec 7. Unfortunately Sarris did not inform me, and I only discovered this by checking my bank account.

    So, for the record, my money was returned, after a lot of stress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous, I am glad that this has been resolved for you. I knew in my heart that things would be alright given a little more time. <3 The passing of a loved one can be a very difficult and trying time. I know how things can be over looked and delayed. Once from losing my father on Christmas morning a few years ago, and also from losing my son last year about a week before Christmas. The stresses of the loss make it difficult to even accomplish normal every day task. I hope that you have found it in your heart to be a little more understanding. I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.
    Hugs,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  15. Essie! Thank you for stopping by and paying a visit. I am sorry I have missed your post here. I wish you a very Merry Christmas to you and your family. And, hopefully next year, I might be able to enter the contest at Dabida. I had wanted to this year, by my heart was just not up to the challenge. But, next year....will be a different story I hope.

    Love ya!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  16. I did not know her. She was the reason I decided to pick up a block of clay at the store though. She has been my inspiration for everything to do with clay, and even though I didn't find her til after she passed, and I now know that she has passed I can't help but to cry. She was indeed a great woman. But I guess I'm living proof that she will and has decided to inspire people from all over the world. Beatiful post. <3

    ReplyDelete