Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fresh off the press: Martha Armstrong-Hand's book!

That's right, can you believe it! Martha Armstrong-Hand's book, "Learning to be a Doll Artist" is going back to the printing presses! This is fantastic news to many doll makers out there (including myself). If you have ever been interesting in purchasing this book, now is the time to do so.

A friend of mine from the BJD community, has brought word to the Woodlandearthstudio forum, The Enchanted doll forums, and to The Joint forums on the release of this book. This is her post in the Woodlandearthstudio forums:

---------------------
"Today I got this email from Tom Farrell, Managing Partner Reverie Publishing Company.


""I made a deal with Joe Jones to purchase the rights to the
book. I have added it to our website and it is available for pre-orders
now. Please pass the word around with the BJD people you know. I
appreciate your enthusiasm for the book and I hope you are helpful in
promoting it to the BJD world. We will have the book ready for shipment in
January 2011. It will not be available on Amazon until July 2011. The
cover price is going to be $25.00 . Pre-orders for the book will receive
free shipping via USPS priority mail.""


This is the webpage to make the Pre-order for the book:

http://www.reveriepublishing.com/item.php?id=719

When I was at the Doll & Teddy Bear Expo 2010, Tom Farrell was the first
doll bookseller I talked to. We discussed BJDs, Learning to be a Doll Artist,
and the Yoshida Style Ball Jointed Doll Making Guide. The next book seller
I talked to was Joe Jones, the president of Jones publishing, the publisher that
was going to make the DVD version of the book. He told me he would look
into what was holding up the DVD project; that he wasn't aware there were
problems with getting the project finished. When I got home from the Expo,
I wrote to Tom Farrell, to give him some information about the Yoshida book,
because he expressed an interest in publishing an English version of it;
and I wrote to Joe Jones at Jones Publishing, to encourage him to finish
the DVD project. Well, it looks like my enthusiasm for Martha's book has
had some results? I sure hope so!

Tom Farrell was in a booth at the Doll Expo that was filled with
doll collecting books, doll making books, and all sorts of doll related books.
He is legitimate as far as I can tell. I just hope he can get the book actually
published! He is going to REPRINT the book in dead-tree form! I'm SO excited!

Please, put the above information on all the BJD and doll making sites that
you know of! Please spread the word. Learning to be a Doll Artist by Martha
Armstrong-Hand is going to be re-printed! If you think this news needs to be posted
in some other topics or threads here at Woodland, please do so!"
------------

You can also find out from her blog as well: http://atelierpoupee.blogspot.com/

At any rate, it is my understanding that this books is a wonderful guide to learning to create a doll in BJD form using springs and porcelain. I have never laid hands on a copy of it myself....but I can guarantee you this much, it is soon to become another book in my arsenal of doll making supplies! yay! What great news! And, a special thanks goes out to KWM for her hard work in bringing us this news. Thank you, thank you!

Now, that I have spread the good news to the world about the reprint of "Learning To Be a Doll Artist" by Martha Armstrong-Hand, I'm off to get a basket of doll making supplies ready for a High School Baseball game tonight. You know me, I don't head out the door unless I have my basket of fun stuff with me. haha Currently I am working on a witch for this month's IADR contest. Maybe I'll have her finished in time to take flight for Halloween. And, if we are lucky, perhaps she'll have a ghostly friend or two to accompany her as well. LOL Fun, fun, fun!

Hugs,
Lori

4 comments:

  1. I just ordered the book as well! :) Looking forward. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, Kimberly! So glad you were able to get the book. Believe it or not, I still have to get my order in. *gasp* I do intended to do that soon though. I just had to get caught up on some things first. My youngest boy is a senior in high school this year, and I don't have to tell you how all your money is caught up in those expenses! *egads* Hopefully soon, I'll have some breathing room in my pocket and can get my order in on this book for myself!

    Merry Christmas to you and yours!
    Hugs,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to order on Amazon and it was over a hundred dollars?! Then I went to the reveriepublishing site you refered, but their "no longer distributing it"..?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Cleiton

    This address above, not open.
    I would like to get copies of the book Martha Armstrong Hand's book "Learning to be a doll artist, you still have it

    persona.tom@hotmail.com

    tks

    ReplyDelete