Monday, February 28, 2011

Woodland Troubadours...My IADR entry

I suppose all of you would like to pick me apart limb from limb since I have not been here since January. Truthfully, I'm rather shocked myself that it has been 2 months! My, time flies by when you are having fun.

A lot has happened in the last couple of months. One of the highlights was the IDEX show in Orlando at the end of January. It was a very successful show to say the least. It was a wonderful feeling to finally meet the wonderful ladies face to face that I often chat with here and there on the internet. They are all just as lovely in person as they are in their writing. Such a pleasure to meet them and the other artist who also displayed at IDEX that I was fortunate to meet. I will say this much, the show was wonderful, exciting, and exhausting! And, I hope to have the opportunity to do it again. I think it took me nearly a week to finally recouperate from that show. :-) I also want to thank all of you who stopped by the International Art Doll Registry booth. I apologize it has taken me so long to thank you all for your support and coming to see not only my work being displayed but also that of the other wonderfully talented ladies I had the pleasure to display my work with at the booth. For those of you wondering if we will do it again, I think it is already in the works for our groups participation!

As promised, I have some new work to show you all! It is my entry for the IADR (International Art Doll Registry) February theme "Art from the Soul". I've been working on this since early January....if you can believe that! This piece started out as one idea, and fully matured into a completely different concept all together in the end. Some of you might think I'm a little whacked in the head for saying this, but, sometimes you have to listen to what the art tells you it wants to become rather than you trying to force it be what you think it should be.

Some of you might know these 2 characters as a comedy and tragedy storyline where one bent over and ripped his pants while the other laughs at his friends misfortunes. Well, as time went on, and much by a happy accident due to the way I had my "bending over" character sitting on my work table, I decided he should be sitting instead and that by changing his pose, he appeared to be more "melancholic" than with a frown of dismay. So, I went with it and I'm very happy that I did.

I call it "Woodland Troubadours". It consist of 2 figures on their single base display. The base measures approximately 11" x 18" and consist of faux moss rocks, crushed cork for the pebbles, real moss, faux butterflies, faux fernery and other plant like items. The sitting figure playing the gourd cello is 8" and the standing figure with the trumpet is 15". Their clothing is made of linens and faux leather. They have glass eyes, mohair, and have been painted with acrylic paints. The cello gourd is also hand-made out of polymer clay. The trumpet is a brass item saved for Christmas' gone by. (yes, I'm a pack rat! haha)

Without further adieu, here are the Woodland Troubadours! Enjoy!

Woodland Troubadours front
Woodland Troubadours back
Woodland Troubadours side1
Woodland Troubadours side2
Woodland Troubadour trumpet
Woodland Troubadour Trumpet closeup
Woodland Troubadours cello
Woodland Troubadours cello closeup

5 comments:

  1. Great job Lori, I love this piece. A lot of detail and it makes me laugh. You may have a winner this time. I understand how time flies. As John Prine would say, "time doesn't fly, it leaps and bounds".

    Any way, missed seeing you around and what a great sculpt.

    Darel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, has it really been two months since the new year? That's scary! Anyway, good to have you back! I always look forward to seeing your new work and these wee guys are just fantastic! Hope you are well my friend,
    Roisin x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori Lori Lori....this piece is awesome. I had to giggle with the smile on the one standing up. I really think I can hear him laughing!!!! ^_^

    I have missed you my sweet friend. So happy that you had such an amazing time at the show. You are an awesome artist!!!

    Hugs,
    Regi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Consider yourself picked apart LOL..... seriously they are wonderful and what a fantastic open mouth you have done, very very cool indeed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darel, Thank you very much! Looks like you were right! They did win! I can't tell you how exciting it is to finally create that winning piece. Even though in your heart, they are all winners! haha Thanks so much!

    @Roisin...thank you too! I appreciate you stopping by to look at my characters. I'm really in love with these 2 fellas. It's going to be super hard for me to part with them. haha Miss you too dear friend. I need to get better at getting on here and blogging. lol

    @Regi! Hello there, girlfriend! Long time no talk indeed. I'm super happy you got tickled by my laughing pixie. He has quite the genuine smile doesn't he? lol He makes me laugh too. Guess that is why I like him. :-) Thank you, Regi, for such a wonderful and thoughtful compliment. <3

    Sharon....glad you stopped in to pick me apart! Someone needs to keep me on my toes. lol I'm glad you like these fellas! I can't decide which character I like the most, but one thing is for sure, that laughing one does make you smile. And, to me, that is all I need to make my day complete. hehe

    Hugs to all,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete