Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Mixing things up a bit...

It's true.  I thought I would step outside of my comfort zone and mix things up a little.  Why not?  Who says we have to conform to the same old stuff all of the time?  Besides, doing something different can get the creative juices flowing when you feel a little stagnant.  Not that I've been stagnant per say because I have a TON of ideas lingering in my noggin, but, I guess I just have an itch to try something DIFFERENT!  And so, in the spirit of creativity, I thought I would let my muse out of her box and have a little off-road adventure!  And, so, here we are, right smack dab in the middle of a massive project wondering where my muse is going to take me on this little escapade.  Only time will tell, though I can hear her whispering constantly in my ear.  Sometimes, I swear, she never shuts up!  LOL

At any rate, I decided to re-approach the paper clay medium.  I've tried using paper clays in the past, here and there, with different brands and on different types of projects.  No matter what it was I was trying to do, I just couldn't develop a love for the medium, and so, it fell to the way side.  And, so, I stuck with my go-to favorite medium polymer clay.  Don't get me wrong, just because I'm trying something new, does not mean I am giving up polymer clay.   No way!  Me and polymer clay have a pretty good understanding of each other and so we'll keep it that way!  But, just for fun and creativity, I thought I would give paper clay another look.  Especially since the last time I used the medium, it was my first attempt sculpting with ANY type of clay, and my sculpting skills were,( putting gently), quite terrible!  It is probably safe to assume that I did not really give the paper clay medium a fair shake.  :-P

Either way, here we are, using paper clay!  At the moment, I have Premier brand paper clay.  I admit, when I first opened up the package, I thought how incredibly light weight this product is as compared to what I remembered of the medium in my past usage.  Of course, keeping in mind that different brands have different consistencies, this is indeed still lighter once dried than say Creative Paper Clay...from what I can remember.  The other thing I will say is this: you definitely have to find the consistency that works for your sculpting style.  If I add just a wee bit too much water, it's slimy!  I don't quite care for the sliminess.  Bleh!  And, too, it is a VERY soft clay to work with.  Since I've been using polymer clay for many years now, it is a strange feeling using a different medium, especially something that is so soft and light weight in comparison to that of polymer clay.  It takes a bit of getting used to at first.  But, since I was determined to give this a fair shake, I stuck it out and I have discovered what works for me while using this product.  So, if I don't add "too" much water to my clay, and if I let it dry up to a certain firmness, I have found it quite workable.  Not only that, but once it is dried, it is like a feather compared to a finished polymer clay piece.  I admit, I like that key factor a lot!  

Unfortunately, I ran out of my package of Premier paper clay and needed more to finish my project. So, this time around, I thought I would try a different brand to compare the consistency, drying times, etc.  So, the next package I picked up was DAS paper clay.  Well, first thing that comes to mind is THE SMELL!!   I'm sure there are those out there that LOVED sniffing glue in elementary school, but, I must not have been one of those kids because let me tell you something, OMG that stuff made me sick just smelling it.  Perhaps some of you might like the strong odor that permeates from this clay, but for me?  Let's just suffice in saying that I tried using it for as long as I could possibly stand it and had to go out and buy another package of clay!  Like most artist on a budget, I hate wasting money on products that I end up not using, but, I just could not stand the smell.  It was THAT bad to me.  Aside from the smell, it was also a lot lumpier than the Premier clay.  So, guess what the replacement package was?  You got it....Premier paper clay.  

So, I stocked up on another couple of packages of paper clay, and once again, I was off and running with  my new project!  Currently, I have 12 heads sculpted and sanded.  There are a couple that need ears, but, for the most part they are completed aside from their painting and other details of course.   I also have another 12 heads that are 1/2 sculpted, giving me 24 pixie/fairy styled dolls in paper clay coming soon!  And, since I am are in the mood for "different"  these will not be like most of the dolls I have created to date.  They will, indeed be just a little different than my normal art doll creations.  My hopes is to have all 24 dolls completed by the end of October for the Annual Mount Dora Craft festival that I participate in each year with my dolls.  I will be posting dates of the festival soon so that the local collectors can come and visit me.

At any rate, if these new paper clay dolls go over well, I just might start adding these into my doll creations.  You will have to let me know what you think of them once they are completed.  In the meantime,  I have tons more work to do if I am going to have all 24 finished by the end of October!  Talk about a hefty goal!!

Here is a sampling of the first 12 heads.  As you can see, they are still very much like the pixies I typically sculpt except these are in paper clay.  Let me know what you think of them so far.  Sorry for the picture quality, but, the photos are good enough to give you and idea what they look like so far at this stage in the creative process.  Thanks for taking a look! Your feedback is ALWAYS welcomed!






No comments:

Post a Comment