Wednesday, January 22, 2014

On the work bench....

Looking around my studio, there seems to be quite a few things sitting on my work bench or placed here and there, all of which are either unfinished or need the final touches.   I'm sure, once I catch up, it's going to seem as if I am completing all sorts of things all at the same time.  But, rest assured, as you all know, I've been working on some of these projects for quite some time now.  And, truthfully, it's about time I finish them up!! 

All in all though, that is part of the crafter's process I suppose; at least it is for me.  To work on "this" and "that" until we get to a certain point, then, lay it aside while another hopeful project begins to flourish in it's place.  However, even though some projects tend to be laid to the wayside, sometimes, it is necessary in the creating process to do that.  For instance, if you get irritated because something doesn't work they way you expect it to, or no matter what you try, it just doesn't look as you first imagined it to in your fantastical dreams.  So, alas, this is how sometimes we end up with numerous projects unfinished until one day, they all seem to come together quite nicely!

With that said, I am currently working on a project that has caused me to set it aside on a few occasions already.  Albeit, I am determined to finish it and not let it sit for a while in the corner.  And, too, I am at a standstill until something special arrives in the mail that I had to order specifically for this project.  I don't want to say what the item is just yet, because it will take a little technical know-how to do it....and I might not be able to accomplish what I'm seeking to do.  If it works out, I'll share with you later what was that I was waiting on in the mail.  haha 

Not to mention, I was hoping to have this one finished in time to submit to the DABIDA competition in the Netherlands.  The theme for this years competition is "Transformation" and the deadline is February 1.   If I am lucky, and I finish in time, then I will submit it.  I am not going to stress over trying to complete it in time as I do not think lady luck is going to be on my side, so, this piece will most likely  have to accompany me to the Quinlan show, unless it sells before that time.  

At any rate, the trick to working toward a theme is how does one accomplish this and still stick within the scope of what you already create?  I had many ideas on what I wanted to do, and truthfully, most of these ideas I have had for some time now just laying around in the back of the ole noggin waiting to come to fruition.   I will still work through some of those ideas that are in the noggin file cabinet sometime in the future, but for now, we'll just settle for this one in particular. 

At the moment, the figure is only half sculpted as well as the base.  It is starting to come to life all together, but, as I stated before, I am at standing point until my item comes in the mail.  So, here we are to date with what I have done on the "transformation" project. 








 
So this is where I am so far in the project.  My polymer clay was too soft for me to continue sculpting on the figure.  The base is done in paper clay and at a standstill until I get my supplies. Obviously, this is the biggest reason that I will probably not have it completed in time for submission to the DABIDA competition; because I have to wait for the air dry clay to dry.  Nevertheless, tomorrow is another day of sculpting on the figure at least.  If I am lucky, my supplies will come and I can spend the entire day in a sculpting flurry!  Once I am further along in the project, I will post more pictures for you to see.

I also wanted to share with you another auction I have on Ebay for this week.  In honor of Valentine's Day, I have put up "Valentine" at a special price.   Hopefully one of you might want to bring him home to be your very special Valentine.  I'm sure he'll pull on your heart-strings if you let him.
 

I hope you enjoy my WIP and will follow along with my progress in it's creation.  I would also like to invite you to check out my latest auction of "Valentine" too. 

As always, thank you for following along here at The Pixie Knoll!  Any comments or suggestions are always appreciated!  

Have a wonderful evening folks!

2 comments:

  1. Lori, I enjoyed this post, very thorough and it took me on a journey that also provided inspiration and ideas for my sculpting which is why I Love reading these posts. Thank you :•) Your setting looks exciting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, Fredo!

    So glad you stopped by! I like to share my creative process with you and others. Most creative individuals are generally happy to share their techniques (and failures) most of the time. I'm sure you know this to be true of yourself and of your other creative friends. :-) I'm so glad you have enjoyed mine so far. And, of course, I am also glad you liked reading my post too! Thank you very for the compliment!!!

    I have a lot more to add for my next post, so stay tuned.....and I'll take you further along on that creative journey! :-D

    ReplyDelete