Friday, December 11, 2015

The Hustle and Bustle of December!

Well, folks, it seems December has finally made it here.  As usual, I'm a bit late on my post, but good grief, if you knew how busy I have been, you would understand!  Not to mention, if you seen the state of my studio, you would think that the elves have been running muck in there in preparation for Christmas Eve as if it happened yesterday and they were late for the party.   Yes, I am ashamed of the state of my special work place, but, alas, it happens after every big creative project.....in this case, several of them at once.   You know me, I like to bite off more than I can chew.  I'll work on several pieces at once and then flood you good and kindly folks with the aftermath of my elfin destruction.

At any rate, before I share some pics with you, I wanted to let the local folks know that if you are looking for something to do over the 11th and 12th of December (today and tomorrow for those of us who have lost track of time); head on over to Howey-in-the-Hills for their Christmas Celebration.  It starts this evening from 5 pm to 8 pm and tomorrow from 8 am to 5 pm.  There will be Crafters and Artisans sharing their wares (like myself) and other great stuff to be found.  The Christmas parade is tomorrow at 3 pm.  And, for the early birds, the Howey Men's Club is sponsoring a pancake breakfast starting at 8 am tomorrow morning!  I have never done the event but figured, what the heck, it's right around the corner from me so I might as well give it a whirl.  At any rate, I hope to see a few of you there!

Now, on to the good stuff.  Recently, I was commissioned to create a 40 inch African American Santa based on the "Holly King" that I did a few years ago.  I thought this would be a fun challenge so I accepted the commission.  I am pleased with the outcome.  The pics are not the best in the world because I do not have the photo set-up to photograph such large pieces at this time.  But, I think the photos are good enough that you can get an idea.  The hair and beard alone on the figure took me almost 7 hours to do alone!   But, the dedication paid off and it looks fabulous.  I would love to hear your responses.
Head bust after the bearding and hair was finished.

Another shot of the head bust.

The completed Santa.

Another view of the completed Santa.
I ran into a few challenges while working on him, but I think the efforts were well worth the end product.

Not only have I been working on this Santa, but I also had another Santa that I have been working on too; another commissioned piece.   He is titled, "We Can Build A Snowman".  I think he came out wonderful too!  See for yourself.  :-)
close-up of "We Can Build A Snowman".

"We Can Build A Snowman"

View of the Snowman.

I loved this view.  I think it would make a great postcard! 
 And, well, I had so much fun creating the one snowman, that I couldn't resist making another one!
Cute little snowman!
Aside from these, I have another Santa approximately 12" tall to finish up and also 2 that are about 6 inches tall.  Those will have to wait until this upcoming week since I have the little show event this weekend.  In the meantime, I am also working on another special commission....an angel!

Before I go, I wanted to share with you yet another commission I finished just recently.  It was based on my "World Traveler" piece.  It is a mini steam punk dragonfly without the rider.  It was a super fun piece to create.  The total piece measures about 12 x 12 x 12.  I think it came out AWESOME.  In fact, I liked creating this one so much that I would welcome taking on commissions for more similar to it in the future should anyone be interested.  Just send me an email at lori@thepixieknoll.com.   The pictures are a little dark, but they are well enough that you can see the images clearly.





Anyway, that is all I have to share with you good people in bloglandia today.  I have to get ready for the event set-up tonight!  I hope to see you in Howey!

2 comments:

  1. As usual you have outdid yourself and everything looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mom! So glad to see you here at my blog. I'm glad you liked the creations so far this season. Now, if I can just finish up the rest of them before Christmas has come and gone, that would be great! LOL

      Delete