Saturday, December 31, 2016

Knocking at the Door.....

While Father Time is steadily ticking away, a fresh New Year is rapidly knocking at our doors.  It is hard to believe that another year has come and gone so quickly.  Where does all that time go anyway?I guess we'll never know.  Tomorrow, we will all wake up with a fresh new page in our books for a new chapter in our lives. What will the New Year unfold for the lot of us?

Saturday Evening Post Father Time and Baby New Year

In retrospect, 2016 was indeed a very busy year for me.  I added on more shows than the year before and I felt as if I was creating the entire year!  In fact, there were days where I don't even remember seeing the sun shining outside because I was so busy working!   Why, this year my work even made the cover of Pretty Toys Magazine!  What an honor that is to say the least!  I must have forgotten to make a post about it here.  How one earth could I have forgot to mention something as important as that?  See, this is what happens when you are so busy that you don't know if you are coming or going!  At any rate, here is a pic of the cover.  I was also on the cover of the Russian version for this issue as well.  I'm sure you know how excited I was when I seen it.  I had no idea.  Albeit, it's a small corner of the cover, however, it was still pretty awesome to me!   "My Moment of Zen" is the piece that made the cover and a nice write up on the inside as well.  If you would like to purchase either a hard copy or a digital copy, here is the link for you!    http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/1190390  I was also fortunate enough to be published in there September 2016 issue as well.  You will see that one below.  You can pick up your copy here:  http://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/1166040


"My Moment of Zen" gourd doll

September 2016 cover of Pretty Toys Magazine.  I was published in this one too! 

Aside from the publications, I managed to do 5 pretty big shows this year and numerous art stroll events in Lake Mary, Florida.  What were the shows you ask?  The Quinlan Doll and Teddy Bear show in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, The International Doll and Teddy Bear Show in Asheville, North Carolina,  The Spirits in Sanford Show in Sanford, Florida,  The Fairy and Earth Festival in Osteen, Florida, and the Atomic Holiday Bazaar Show in Sarasota, Florida.   Needless to say, after working so hard towards all of these shows this year, I was WIPED out!   All I have to say is that it has truly been a VERY busy year for creating!

As many of you know, I was finally able to get my hands on an artist canopy tent so that I can begin doing outdoor shows.   I have already started to make my "game plan" for which shows to try my luck on.  Some of the shows I have already missed the application deadlines for the upcoming show season, but I have those particular shows marked on my calendar so that I will not miss them on the 2018 show year.   At any rate, I am not sure if my figure work will be permitted into certain shows simply because of the description of the show categories.  The only way I can apply for shows with my figure work is if they permit 3D mixed media sculpture works.  So, that limits the shows I can participate with.  :-P   However, I am not a one-trick pony!  I have gourd work I can submit and my drawing/painting skills to fall back on as well.   Anyway, we shall see what unfolds at a later date where the outdoor show circuit is concerned.  

In the meantime, what is slotted for the New Year of 2017?  

As you know, I will be at the Quinlan Doll and Teddy Bear Show at the beginning of May in Philadelphia and the International Doll and Teddy Bear Show in June in Asheville once again.   So far, in July, it looks as if I will be teaching a 3 day class in New Mexico.  I have not signed a contract on that just yet , but let's just say at this time it is still in the planning/finalizing stages.  If it goes through, it will be towards the end of July.   It will consist of a show and classes by various artist such as myself.   Just these 3 events alone are enough to keep me busy for the next few months.  But, of course, as you know, I am looking at outdoor show events as well.  Most likely something local to me towards the end of the year around October/November/December.  This way I do not have the travel expenses like I do when I go out of state.  You would be amazed at how much that adds up to travel out of the state!  

As for New Year's resolutions?  I haven't thought of anything yet pertaining to The Pixie Knoll.  Maybe it will simply be to maintain the status quo.   With the exception....I would rather sell more than I keep.  :-D  But, what artist does not wish for such a thing?  Perhaps, I should be a little more exploratory this year.  Maybe I should not be so rigid it what I create.  Perhaps I should think outside of the box?  Maybe I can work in a "theme" this year.  Hmmmm, *scratches head*, the possibilities are ENDLESS!!!!  This is what is so nice about having a creative job....everything and anything GOES!   I think I met my goals I set for myself last year.  They were good goals I think.  Perhaps this year, the goal is just to maintain.  We shall see.  As for my personal life?  I need to work on "myself". I have neglected myself for a very long time, so I need to do a little focusing on ME for a change.  That does not mean I will slack on the pixies by any means.  What it REALLY means is that I need to work on improving me and my image and in turn, this will improve the pixies!  

So, with that said, I would like to thank EVERYONE for following me here at The Pixie Knoll. It is because of all of you, that I continue with my whimsical creations.  It brings me great happiness and joy to create my figures and I hope it brings you just as much happiness to see and own them as well.  
Wishing you all a very 
HAPPY NEW YEAR!   
 I wish you all to have a 
Healthy and Prosperous 
New Year 
filled with 
Love and Happiness!




4 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. I hope to see you in Asheville next year. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Wendy! Glad you stopped by for a visit. I hope to see you in Asheville too! You will have to be sure to stop by my booth. :-) I wish you a very Happy New Year too! Be safe! <3

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year Miss Lori! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad you liked it. :-) I hope you have an extremely wonderful New Year too! <3

      Delete