Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Where does the time go?

I would swear it was only yesterday when I made that last post in October!  Where in the world does the time go? It seems that I have been caught up in that perpetual whirlwind of creative chaos once again.  If I had landed in Oz, I would never have known it because I have been so busy with preparing for the last of the shows this year that I have entirely missed the last couple of months!

One thing is for certain though, as you all know me well enough, when I disappear for any length of time, I usually come back with a cornucopia of pictures from projects that I have finished during the laps of time I have not been here.  Lucky for you!!!

In reflection, it has been an extremely busy creative year for me and no doubt next year will prove much of the same.  As you know, this year I had many shows starting with the Quinlan Doll and Teddy Bear show in Philadelphia, the ID&TS (International Doll and Teddy Show) in Asheville, North Carolina, the Spirits in Sanford Halloween show in Sanford, Florida, the Fairy and Earth Festival in Osteen, Florida and finally, the Atomic Holiday Bazaar in Sarasota, Florida.  In between all of those, I also participated in 4 Art Strolls in Lake Mary, Florida, and one Artist Garden Party event.  If you ask me, that is a very busy and productive year!  No wonder I'm worn out.  :-P  

This upcoming year promises to be just as busy if not more.  I am already slotted to attend the Quinlan Doll and Teddy show in May and the International Doll and Teddy show in June.  There is a possibility of teaching a workshop in July in New Mexico, but that is still in the works with the show promoters as I have not heard anything concrete just yet. It might be that it never gets off the ground so we shall see what happens with that. Then, of course, there is the Spirits in Sanford show that I have done over the last 3 years.  However, I am considering some new possibilities for show venues, one of which might take place of the Halloween show this coming year.  In order to grow artistically, one has to try new things.  To explain, I recently was able to obtain an artist show tent for outdoor festivals with the help of a generous contribution.  As a result, this affords me the opportunity to branch out and participate in the outdoor art festivals which will put my work in front of 1000's of people instead of a couple of hundred.  From a business perspective, this makes a LOT of sense.  The trick will be getting my work accepted to these venues since most you have to be juried into the events.  Speaking honestly, I know my work and I know it is good.  However, to stiff-lipped jurors for art festivals, my work might appear as a "fine craft" or "not artsy" enough for their "high-end" shows.  Of course, my work would fall under the category of "3D mixed-media".  Some shows do not offer this category.  It's either "mixed-media or sculpture".  Pick one or the other.  And, under definition, usually mixed-media applies to 2D works on paper and sculpture is usually out of one material, i.e. metal, clay, porcelain, glass, etc.  You get the idea.

At any rate, I'm willing to try my hand at it and see how I fair.  Worse comes to worse, I branch out in other mediums just so I can have the use of the tent.  LOL     With that said though, I have officially applied for my first outdoor artist festival event just yesterday!  Some how, as luck would have it, when I went to look up the event, I found the deadline for submission was TODAY!!!  Can you believe that?  So, I figured, it was a sign for me to apply to the event since I checked it out at the very last possible minute, therefore I submitted my work for juror inspection.  I'm not sure how long it will take before I receive the "yay or nay" notification.  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed on it.  If I get in, that would be wonderful.  Especially since the event is only 10 minutes away from me!  How awesome is that!!!  No hotel expense, no travel expense, just set the tent up and have at it.   That would be truly wonderful.  The show I am speaking of is the Leesburg Art Festival, in Leesburg, Florida.   Just a hop, skip and a jump away in my own backyard!

Other show considerations for me will be later in the year. One of which is the Winter Park Autumn Art Festival in Winter Park, Florida.  That one falls in October.  If I am accepted into the show, then I will not be participating in the Spirits in Sanford show.  So, we shall see how that goes later on in the upcoming year.  Other show considerations are those that are in The Villages, Lake-Sumter Landing and Spanish Springs areas.  And, quite possibly the Mount Dora Craft Show.  I would love to do the Winter Park Art Festival and Mount Dora Art Festival, however, I have missed the application deadlines for those 2 upcoming shows.  Better luck next year on those 2.  :-)  I will be better prepared then at any rate.  For now, a smaller scale outdoor show will help to break the ice so to speak and a good place to start. There is also a local winery that has shows periodically which I am considering in contacting.   Anyway, these are my plans for the upcoming year.  So, if you live in the Central Florida area, it's quite likely that I will run into you if you go to the outdoor festivals.  :-)

As for other news, I thought I would show you a few pictures of stuff I have recently completed.  The first is a commissioned Santa I recently finished.  I do have 2 smaller Santa's I'm working on, but I was unable to finish them in time for the shows.  Those 2 will be available soon.  But for now, you can feast your eyes on this fella!   He has no title yet as I have gifted that responsibility to the new owner.   I hope you like him.  I think he is just FABULOUS!!  




And, I managed to complete a total of 25 Santa ornaments this year.  They took me FOREVER to create.  I didn't get to take a picture of them all before the Atomic Holiday Bazaar show, but here is a small sampling of what I have left.  The pictures really do NOT do them justice at all.  You really have to see them in person.  Each of them have their own little personality since they were individually sculpted.  As always, they have that "olde world" Santa feel to them. I will be adding them to the Etsy store tomorrow I think.



Aside from the Santa ornaments, I had a LOT of really cute needle felted Santa gnomes.  This is the last one that I have left.  Don't worry, I will be making more gnomes soon.  you will find them in my Etsy store as well.  I love these things...they are simple ADORABLE!!
Front View

Side View

 Of course, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without the cute Snowmen.  So here are a few of those type of ornaments.......  Again, these will be in the Etsy store tomorrow night I think.  This is just a small sampling,  They are all unique items, hand sculpted, original, one-of-a-kind pieces.

And, last but not least are more GOURDS!!!  Yes, I found time to work on some of those too.  :-)  Here are a few of them.  If they are not snagged up on Face Book soon, I will be adding these to my Etsy show as well.  I do have a couple of more that I was not able to finish in time, but I'll be working on those over the next couple of weeks and possible have them ready for purchase soon.  In the meantime, all of these gourds were wood-burned and painted with alcohol inks and transparent acrylic inks.  As you can see, a couple of them were beaded too.  Pictures do not do them justice as they are "gourdgeous".  :-)   You just have to see them in person, that is all I can say.  Hopefully soon, I will be able to try my hand at carving as well.  I REALLY want to try creating some very artistic gourd pieces in the future.  So if this is your type of thing.....stay tuned for future post!
Beaded dragonfly gourd bowl.

Beaded acorn gourd bowl.

Tall fall leaf vase.


Small fall leaf vase.
Well, folks, that just about sums it up for the moment.  I wish I had more pictures of stuff I had finished to share with you, but as you already know, I simply ran out of time to do everything.  That is how it is sometime.   In the meantime, I want to thank each and every one of you for following along here at my blog, my website, Etsy and on Face Book.  You are all simply wonderful for all of your encouraging remarks, compliments and friendships.  Thank you all for simply being YOU.  And on that final note....

I want to wish you and your loved ones all a very 
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2 comments:

  1. your Santa's are so cute, Merry Christmas

    Hugs
    Marisa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Marisa! I am so happy you like my Santa's! :-) I have 2 more on my work bench that are 1/2 the size of my latest fella. Hopefully I can finish them both before the end of the year. :-) If not, well, I'll be early for next Christmas. HAHA Merry Christmas to you too and best wishes for a prosperous New Year! Thanks for stopping by and visiting with the pixies and I here at The Pixie Knoll

      Delete