Monday, May 1, 2017

The Dark Side.....

After many sleepless nights and long hours in the studio, I managed to finish up my next gallery piece for the Quinlan Doll and Teddy Bear show in Philly that is taking place starting on this upcoming Thursday.  

As you already know from my last post, I was heading towards the "dark side" for my next piece. Since I already create Halloween stuff, it was just befitting to participate in the "Dark Side Gallery" for the show.  However, this time, instead of creating something retro/vintage Halloween, I kept things in the world of pixie and did something that I have not done before and went to the "wild" side.  I wanted a taste of voodoo, a little bit of shaman, and something very earthy and pagan.   And, I think I hit the nail on the head!  Having only a week to complete the project, I think I did an outstanding job!  Of course, I didn't get a lot of sleep during last week, but it was well worth the efforts as you will soon see.  

So, what was my thought process for this piece?  I wanted to create something that was primal, so my thoughts were that the voodoo pixie would be drawing energy from a good magic source and turning it into bad magic.  But, without an actual illustration showing electric sparks, unearthly gases rising from the grounds and fire as motifs of energy, I had to go a different route.  So, I decided a dead unicorn skull would do the trick.  :-P  I mean, what else would have good magic?  And, a dead unicorn of all things! Only something immortal can kill another immortal being, right?   So, here you have this naughty little pixie in all her innocents, sitting on top of the skull of the unicorn, drawing magic from it's wonderful gold and pearl horn.  It's her talisman of power, the unicorn skull.  It's raw, it's pagan, it's earthy, it's shamanic, it's voodoo, it's just downright wicked.  And, as I looked at this piece, I thought, that unicorn had a bit of bad luck and so, the piece was called "Bad Juju".      

"Bad Juju" came out way better than I had ever expected and I am very pleased with the results.  I hope you will be just as pleased as I am.  You will have to let me know what you think.  I REALLY do appreciate your comments, so feel free to say what is on your mind.    And, here is "Bad Juju" for your viewing pleasure!  
"Bad Juju"

"Bad Juju"

"Bad Juju"

"Bad Juju close-up" 
"Bad Juju close-up"


"Bad Juju"

"Bad Juju"

"Bad Juju"
I admit, I REALLY enjoyed creating "Bad Juju".  Most likely, I will create more primal and wild pixies that have a touch of shaman/voodoo in their bones in the future.  :-)   But for the moment, I am already tackling the final pieces for the next gallery theme for the show.  The theme is "Things That Make You Smile".   I am near completion, but I still have a lot to do.  Hopefully, I will be finished by late tonight or tomorrow.....just in time to toss it into my suitcase and hit the door running for the airport on Wednesday morning.  I'm hoping to have the time to upload a quick post before then to show you the end results.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.   But, until then, it's back to work for me!  Lots to do yet if I want to complete it in time.  :-)

Thanks for stopping in and for your comments too!  I will talk to you folks real soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment