Thursday, July 20, 2017

The Merry-Go-Round....

If you've been reading my blog long enough (or know me personally), you know that I will come from one show, then, turn around and dive head first into the next, and so on and so forth.  Sometimes it feels like a merry-go-round and there is no getting off this crazy circus ride!  Most of the time, it really does feel as if I hit the door running, and my brain is in constant over-drive, thinking of new ideas and projects, bouncing from normal everyday types of figures to Halloween themed, then on to Christmas.  I guess there is no rest for the wicked.  :-D  *cackles maniacally*

The IDTS show in Asheville, N.C. has now come and gone....about a month ago now, and already I am busy working toward the next show.  In fact, I didn't even take the time to unpack most of my boxes from the last show.....I just dove in and got to work!  However I did take a tiny bit of time out to take a small class.  I had the opportunity to take a class in ball-jointed doll making.  I have been wanting to try my hand at it for over 8 years now.  I have started BJD figures quite a few times, but never had the opportunity to finish the process on my own because...well, you guessed it, a show got in the way.  :-P  At any rate, the opportunity came and I grabbed the bull by both horns and finally completed a BJD project.  Since I have studied BJD for so long, I already had a general idea of how to go about the process; the class for me was more or less a good visual guide to seeing the "finishing" parts of the task at hand.  In order to give you the amount of time it took to make one (and this is with advanced sculpting abilities with some knowledge of the process) I guesstimated it took me about 70 to 75 hours from start to finish to complete my very first ball-jointed figure.  I started with making the head of my figure last Wednesday on the 12th, worked on the hands and feet on Thursday, then headed over to the class site on Friday where I proceeded on the torso portion and the  arms and legs.  And, well, the rest was history.  We finally finished stringing and standing the figure at roughly 5 p.m. on Monday evening, the 17th.  To say that I was a exhausted afterwards would be an understatement!  That was a lot of hours in a few short days to put into one single project.  Thankfully, I am used to working long hours like that otherwise I might not made it through it in time.  I guess I am an over achiever.  LOL  Anyway, I wanted to share some pictures with you of my first BJD.  The pictures are not the best quality, but I think they show enough.  :-)  
She actually was standing on her own!  What an accomplishment.  

Admiring my handy work.  That moment of realizing a completed project!

My first completed BJD figure.

"Oh the places you will go"!  Dr. Seuss had it right....as my coffee mug says.
I think I am heading for a new creative adventure!
At any rate, I am so pleased with how she turned out, that I am considering doing more.  Although the next one, I will take my time and not rush through it.  My first one has a few imperfections, and I am ok with that since I do not intend on selling her.  However, my next one I will take my time and improve on technique and strive for perfection.  :-)  So, what do you think?  Should I consider trying my hand at making more for reproduction purposes and maybe make that move into the BJD market?  Let me know what you think.....

Aside from finishing the major BJD project, I did have more finished pieces that I brought with me to the IDTS show last month.  I worked right up until the moment I had to pack up the car and head down the road to the show so I was unable to post up pictures of my finished pieces.  Some of you might have already seen the pictures up on Face Book if you follow me there, but I thought I would post up pictures here all the same.  The following figures are available for purchase and are listed in my Etsy store and website.  So if you see something you like, don't hesitate to bring her home!  Here are the projects that were finished in-between the Quinlan show and IDTS.
"Amber" Measures approximately 15 inches tall from bottom of base to top of head. Fully sculpted OOAK figure with wire armature, made from polymer clay. The stone base is made from paper clay.

"Amber" close-up

"Amber" 

"He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not" Total figure is approximately 22 inches tall by 12 inches wide. She is a fully sculpted figure with wire armature, made from polymer clay.  The flower base is made from wire, paper clay, apoxie, mulberry paper and faux floral pieces then painted with acrylic paints and sealer.

"He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not" close-up.
"He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not"

"Garden Gnome" Fully sculpted OOAK figure made from polymer clay and wire armature, approximately 9 inches tall.  The larger mushrooms are made from paper clay and small ones from polymer clay, both painted with acrylic paints.  

"Garden Gnome"

"Garden Gnome" close-up

As you can see, I have had a very busy couple of months completing these fabulous projects.  You might have guessed that I have a love for Scandinavian Gnomes, so I couldn't resist throwing another into the mix of things.  Especially since they lend themselves so well to Santa.  Which, as you know, Christmas is just around the corner and will be here before you know it.  

However, before I can even begin on Christmas, I have some commissions I need to get back to AND I need to finish preparing for the Halloween Show.  I'm running out of time with that too as we speak.  So, since the clock is rapidly ticking forward, I'm gonna stop here and get back to work!  

In the meantime, I hope you have enjoyed seeing the new finished projects.  Perhaps you might want to give them a home?  If so, feel free to message me or follow the links directly to my website and Etsy store!   As always, thanks for stopping by and visiting us here at The Pixie Knoll! 




No comments:

Post a Comment